Share This Post

DeliciousDiggGoogleStumbleuponRedditTechnoratiYahooBloggerMyspaceRSS

Kurt Busch issue sticks NASCAR between rock and hard place

buschA lot of news stories came out of the recent Daytona (Fla.) International Speedweeks, from Joey Logano winning the Daytona 500, to Ford sweeping the three NASCAR national series points-paying races, Kyle Busch’s sidelining injury in the Xfinity Series race, the resulting debate of SAFER barriers not protecting every wall at every NASCAR-sanctioned track, a qualifying format that didn’t seem to make anyone happy, the competitive debut of the new pit road officiating system, and one of the biggest stories of Speedweeks — the indefinite suspension of Kurt Busch.

After, admittedly, falling somewhat behind in recent days, I plan to tackle several of the aforementioned storylines in the upcoming days. Today’s topic du jour — Kurt Busch’s suspension.

First and foremost, I’m not condoning or making light of domestic violence, here. It’s a serious crime and I do believe that anyone guilty of it should be severely punished.

That being said, I don’t agree with Busch’s suspension. I do, though, understand NASCAR’s position in making the call. I guess you could say the sanctioning body was stuck between that proverbial rock and a hard place.

First, there’s the negative publicity the NFL’s endured in the recent year or so regarding its actions and, at times, lack thereof regarding domestic violence allegations and cases. Then, specific to Busch, there was that no-contact order Busch’s ex-girlfriend, Patricia Driscoll, received last week and the court commissioner’s comments that followed days later.

I agree that the no-contact order and the court commissioner’s comments now make the Busch/Driscoll thing more than “he said; she said,” but I still look at Driscoll’s allegatins as still just that, allegations.

No, I’m not saying Busch is innocent, but I’m not ready to say he’s guilty, either. Yes, there has been a court decision, but it wasn’t a decision that stated clearly, beyond a doubt that Busch was guilty of domestic abuse. Instead, it stated that there was a chance that Busch was guilty.

So, when you get right down to it, Busch was suspended indefinitely by NASCAR for something he may have done. I’m still a proponent of waiting for the judicial process to play out and then make a decision based on that result.

The outcome of a criminal investigation into the allegations made against Busch haven’t even resulted in any charges, at least not yet. Shouldn’t NASCAR have waited, at least, until the filing of charges, if that even happens?

That apparently works for some sanctioning bodies. When US Soccer player Hope Solo was accused of domestic violence by her nephew, Solo was allowed to continue playing soccer. Charges against here were eventually dropped. She was recently suspended, but that suspension was for a separate matter. Yes, I realize there was no restraining or no-contact order in Solo’s case, or at least not that I know of, but still, it’s an example of a sports sanctioning body, I think, handling this kind of thing in the correct way.

Do you think Busch should have been suspended when he was? Voice your opinion with the online poll, here.

Also, talk to us on Twitter @AutoRacingDaily or on Facebook (facebook.com/autorcngdaily). Amanda’s also on Twitter @NASCARexaminer and has a fan/like page on Facebook: NASCAR Examiner.

Share This Post

DeliciousDiggGoogleStumbleuponRedditTechnoratiYahooBloggerMyspaceRSS
Posted by on February 25, 2015. Filed under Blog by Amanda Vincent,NASCAR. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply