Share This Post

DeliciousDiggGoogleStumbleuponRedditTechnoratiYahooBloggerMyspaceRSS

NASCAR Cup: Brian Scott announces retirement

Richard Petty (left) and Brian Scott (photo courtesy of Getty Images for NASCAR)

Richard Petty (left) and Brian Scott (photo courtesy of Getty Images for NASCAR)

By AMANDA VINCENT

NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Brian Scott plans to retire from full-time NASCAR competition at the end of the 2016 race season, according to an announcement from Richard Petty Motorsports. Scott drives the No. 44 Ford for RPM.
Right after the RPM announcement regarding Scott’s retirement, sponsor Albertsons announced it would end its NASCAR program that includes sponsorship of Richard Petty Motorsports No. 44 driven by Scott at the end of the season.
“Local sports sponsorships are an important part of our marketing strategy in communities across the country,” Albertsons Companies Chief Marketing and Merchandising Officer Shane Sampson said. “While we have decided to focus our investments elsewhere in 2017, we appreciate the work that Brian, Richard Petty Motorsports and the entire No. 44 team put forth in Albertsons Companies this year, and we wish them the very best in the future.”
Despite the loss of Albertsons financial backing and the loss of its driver, RPM says it will field the No. 44 next year.
Scott said the reason for his decision to retire from full-time competition was made to focus on his family, which includes a wife and two children, and the next phase of his career.
“This was a difficult decision, but one that I made myself for my family,” Scott said. “Racing, and specifically NASCAR, has been and will always be in my heart, but right now, I want to turn all my attention to my family and to be able to spend more time with them. Racing has blessed me with great opportunities, and I’m very grateful for everything that it has allowed me to do, but for me, it’s time to move on. I can’t thank everyone enough who helped me in my career. I would not have made it to where I am at today without their trust and commitment.”
The current Sprint Cup Series season is Scott’s only full-time season of competition at the Cup level. He ran a partial schedule in the series from 2013 to 2015. In all, he has 51-career starts, heading into Sunday’s race at Phoenix International Raceway. He posted his first Cup top-five finish last month, a second-place showing at Talladega (Ala.) Superspeedway. He competed full-time in the Xfinity Series from 2010 through 2015, driving for teams including Joe Gibbs Racing and Richard Childress Racing and claiming 20 top-fives and 77 top-10s in 208-career starts. His two NASCAR national-level wins both came in the Camping World Truck Series, winning one time each during the 2009 and 2012 seasons. In all, he has to his credit 62-career Truck Series starts, resulting in two wins, 11 top-fives and 23 top-10 finishes. He ran full-time in the Truck Series for two seasons in 2008 and 2009.
“Brian made it to and competed at a level that very few do in NASCAR,” Richard Petty Motorsports CEO Brian Moffitt said. “Brian became part of the Petty family this year, and he committed himself to making or organization better. We feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to get to know Brian and wish him nothing but the best for him and his family.”
Follow Auto Racing Daily on Twitter @AutoRacingDaily or like Auto Racing Daily on Facebook (facebook.com/autorcngdaily). Amanda’s also on Twitter @NASCARexaminer and has a fan/like page on Facebook (facebook.com/nascarexaminer)

Share This Post

DeliciousDiggGoogleStumbleuponRedditTechnoratiYahooBloggerMyspaceRSS
Posted by on November 10, 2016. Filed under Breaking News,Featured,NASCAR. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply