NASCAR Xfinity: making the chase — standings after Iowa
By AMANDA VINCENT
NASCAR Xfinity Series regular Erik Jones claimed his third series win of the season Saturday night in the US Cellular 250 at Iowa Speedway in Newton. He remains the only series-championship driver with multiple wins.
Other drivers collecting Xfinity Series championship points with race wins include Elliott Sadler, Daniel Suarez and Sam Hornish Jr. Hornish isn’t eligible for the Xfinity Series’ first chase, though, as he isn’t a full-time competitor in the series.
Hornish’s chase ineligibility leaves only Jones, Sadler and Suarez as drivers already with chase spots virtually locked-in because of race wins. With 20 races of the 36 races in the books, six races remain in the 26-race regular season.
Here’s a look at the standings, including drivers with provisional chase berths, based on wins, along with drivers in position to get into the series’ first 12-driver chase by virtue of the points standings:
1. Erik Jones (3 wins)
2. Daniel Suarez (1 win)
3. Elliott Sadler (1 win)
4. Ty Dillon (598 points)
5. Justin Allgaier (576 points)
6. Brendan Gaughan (565 points)
7. Brennan Poole (556 points)
8. Brandon Jones (545 points)
9. Darrell Wallace Jr. (500 points)
10. Ryan Reed (464 points)
11. Ryan Sieg (446 points)
12. Blake Koch (431 points)
13. Jeremy Clements (407 points)
13. Ross Chastain (407 points)
15. Dakoda Armstrong (405 points)
WORTH NOTING: While Elliott Sadler is the leader in the Xfinity Series points standings, his No. 1 JR Motorsports team is fourth in the series owner points standings, trailing three teams that often utilize the driving services of Sprint Cup Series drivers. Sadler’s No. 1 team is the only team with a full-time Xfinity championship-eligible driver behind the wheel.
Here’s a look at the top-five of the Xfinity Series owner points standings:
1. No. 18 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota (715 points)
2. No. 88 JR Motorsports Chevrolet (654 points)
3. No. 2 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet (647 points)
4. No. 1 JR Motorsports Chevrolet (633 points)
5. No. 22 Team Penske Ford (621 points)