Share This Post

DeliciousDiggGoogleStumbleuponRedditTechnoratiYahooBloggerMyspaceRSS

Robin Pemberton steps down from NASCAR position

By AMANDA VINCENT

Robin Pemberton is stepping down from his position of NASCAR Senior Vice President of Competition at the end of the year, according to an announcement Tuesday from NASCAR. The sanctioning body’s announcement did not name a replacement for Pemberton, but according to a Motorsport.com report, Scott Miller will assume the position. The NASCAR release did state that Pemberton will spend the remainder of 2015 assisting in the transition for his replacement.

“Robin has left an indelible mark on the sport while at NASCAR,” NASCAR Vice Chairman Mike Helton said. “He joined us at a critical time and very quickly gave our highly-visible competition group the credibility and confidence it needed to be successful with the industry. He traded a successful career as a competitor to help lead the sport for 12 seasons. We’re extremely grateful for his many contributions.

Pemberton, credited with the “Boys have at it” mantra of NASCAR competition, joined NASCAR management in Aug. 2004, during the debut season of the original Chase for the Sprint Cup format. During his tenure, the inspection and rules process and procedures were overhauled. Among the most notable projects during his time as Vice President of Competition listed on the NASCAR release were the introduction of electronic fule injections and the Generation 6-style car in the Sprint Cup Series. Actually, two generations of Sprint Cup cars were rolled out during Pemberton’s time with NASCAR. The Generation 5 car, also known as the Car of Tomorrow, also made its competitive during Pemberton’s time as Vice President of Competition.

“I’m proud of what we’ve been able to accomplish during my time at NASCAR,” Pemberton said. “This sport has been my entire professional career, and working with all the competitors and the auto manufacturers for the last 12 seasons has been a thrill. I feel good knowing that the work this team has done has had a positive impact on the sport. I look forward to the next challenge.”

Prior to working for the sanctioning body, Pemberton was a Cup-level crew chief, working with drivers including Bobby Allison Rusty Wallace, Mark Martin and Kyle Petty.

Miller was Executive Vice President of Competition for Michael Waltrip Racing the last four years. During his watch, MWR won five races of seven total won by the organization. MWR is closing up shop during the offseason with the departure of co-owner Rob Kauffman to Chip Ganassi Racing. Previously, Miller, like Pemberton, worked as a crew chief, most notably at Richard Childress Racing. Early in his racing career, he was a rider/driver in motocross and stock cars. He also worked in IndyCar before his move to NASCAR.

Follow Auto Racing on Twitter @AutoRacingDaily or like Auto Racing Daily on Facebook (facebook.com/autorcngdaily). Amanda’s also on Twitter @NASCARexaminer and has a fan/like page on Facebook: NASCAR Examiner

Share This Post

DeliciousDiggGoogleStumbleuponRedditTechnoratiYahooBloggerMyspaceRSS
Posted by on December 1, 2015. Filed under Breaking News,Featured,NASCAR. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply